Monday, April 26, 2010

Gluten Free Cornbread

After going Gluten Free I really started paying attention to what bothered me and what didn't and I have found that corn is an okay thing for me.  And one thing I have always loved is corn bread.  So when I went gluten free I thought, perfect, I can still get the corn bread mixes I love and be fine.....this gluten free thing isn't a problem after all.  Boy was I wrong.  Look at the package mixes in the grocery store, every one of them contains wheat.  Crap!  So the search was on for a good gluten free corn bread mix.  I really like this one as far as mixes go, but because gluten free mixes aren't everywhere I have to stock up on the mix to make sure I had some available when I wanted it.   Instead I wanted to find one I could make from scratch on my own, it's so much easier.  So this is what I use instead:

Gluten Free Cornbread
(adapted from this recipe)

1 1/4 c. cornmeal
1 c. flour (I use this gluten free flour, but you can use any kind of flour you choose)
1/4 c. evaporated cane juice (I use this instead of sugar)
2 eggs
1 c. almond milk (or any type of milk you want)
1/3 c. melted butter

If you use regular flour you need to add the following (you don't need to add these if you use the flour I specify because it already has these in it):
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Mix all the ingredients together.  I usually do the wet and then the dry but you can do it however you want.  I like to put this in either a loaf pan or an 8x8 pan.  You can also make muffins out of it if you want, just be sure to reduce the baking time a bit.  Spray whatever pan you want to use and pour the mix in.  I usually bake it about 30 minutes but make sure it's done all the way through and the top is brown before you take it out.  It's great with butter and/or honey.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment