Friday, May 14, 2010

Mexican Casserole

One of my favorite types of food is Mexican. Most things are made out of corn instead of wheat so it's usually pretty easy for me to be able to find something at a Mexican restaurant to eat. My mom used to make this dish but once I went gluten free I wasn't able to make it anymore because you used crescent rolls for the bottom crust. Then I got to thinking, I could use my corn bread recipe for the crust instead and just bake it first. And it worked!! Awesome. Here is the recipe in case you want to try it. It's so good!

Mexican Casserole
Ingredients:

1 corn bread recipe
1 lb. Ground Turkey or Beef
1 package taco seasoning
1/2 cup water
1 cup sour cream
1 pkg. shredded cheddar cheese
Crushed chips (can either use corn chips or Doritos)

Make corn bread recipe as normal. Spray a 9x13 pan and pour the corn bread in the pan. Bake this at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. You want it almost done.

Brown the meat and add the water, taco seasoning and sour cream. Mix all together.

After taking the corn bread out of the oven, sprinkle a layer of the crushed corn chips over the corn bread. Then evenly spread the meat mixture over the crushed chips. Next sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top of the meat. Last put another layer of corn chips on top of the cheese. Put back in the oven for about another 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Cut and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment