Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Training

I read this awesome post today.  Check it out.  And it totally hit home with me.  I started heart rate training in the fall and am now finally starting to possibly see some effects of it and it's totally awesome.  I used to be the person she describes in here, ran every run hard.  I wore a heart rate monitor but didn't really understand what all those stats meant.  Then I talked to Brian and asked him how he could make me a better runner.  He introduced Lactic Thresold testing and training to me and my mind went in circles.  I had a book about running in zones, running at 75% of your lactic threshold (LT) and building your aerobic base but to me that meant running slower and that I would get slower as a result of that.  That just shows how much I had to learn.  I am a firm believer in this method plus it gives you good variety in your schedule.  Whether you are a back of the packer like me who does it because I enjoy it, or a front runner going for first place,  this training can pertain to you and help you, even just from a fitness perspective to achieve your goals.  I've heard so many people say I can't get faster, or I'm slow, or I'm always last and my response to them is you are out there doing something most people are afraid to even try and if you love it at the end of the day that's all that matters.  Give this type of training some thought.

1 comment: