Thursday, February 11, 2010

Coffee Cake Muffins

Last night I tried something very new.  I found a recipe on the web for Cinnamon Roll Muffins so I thought I would give them a try.  This recipe calls for almond flour which I don't have so I went in search of a replacement and found that coconut flour can easily replace almond flour.  I just bought some coconut flour last week so I was in business.  I first mixed up the recipe but they seemed dry and I remember reading on the coconut flour label that you need to add water because coconut flour is very fiberous so it absorbs lots of water.  So I added a cup and a half water to thin it out a bit.  I want to try these again using almond flour and I'll post how those differ from these.  Also another cool thing is I used applesauce instead of oil to make them healthier and there isn't any refined sugar in these.  Instead I got to use the agave nectar I just bought.  Very cool!  Anyway, they turned out very good.  Very moist.  But I thought they tasted more like Coffee Cake Muffins than the homemade cinnamon rolls I make so I'll call mine coffee cake muffins instead (that way I don't infringe on any copy right laws).  :)  Here are some pictures of the finished result with the recipe below the pictures.  Enjoy!!






Muffin Ingredients:
1 c coconut flour
2 tbsp sorghum flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c applesause
1/4 c agave nectar
3 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups water (use because of the coconut flour)

Topping Ingredients:
2 tbsp sugar (approx.)
1 tbsp cinnamon

Mix together the muffin ingredients in a bowl.  Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray.  Scoop in the muffin mix.  Mix together the sugar and cinnamon in a different bowl.  Using a spoon sprinkle the topping mixture over each muffin mixture covering the top, or as much as you want.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 mintes or until golden brown.  Makes 9 muffins.

3 comments:

  1. They do look good. I want to make them...did you find the agave nectar at Festival? Is that a liquid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I found it at Festival. It's similar to the consistency of honey but instead it's made out of Agave plants. It's a great alternative to sugar. I also found it at Wal-Mart too in case you wanted to check there.

    ReplyDelete