Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Weekend Warrior #2

This was my second weekend in a row of trying to do "almost" an Ironman in 48 hours.  This was an intense and exhausting 48 hours, let me tell you! 

Friday: Swim

It was kind of storming all day and I had a long ride the next day to logistically get ready for so I opted for my swim at the Broadview Y pool.  Boring but easier and the weather didn't really warrant an outside swim.  I did 3700 yards which is 2.1 miles.  Felt good. 

Saturday: Brick

Saturday I got up early and headed out for an epic ride.  My plan was to ride from my house down to 7 hills road, ride the road out and back with little break and then head back home.  This ride is very rural with no gas stations directly on the route so Jeff volunteered to be my sag support for the ride, bringing me water, Gatorade and food.  He was going to do his long run along the way and I would meet him at places on the course.  So I headed out.  The goal today was to eat as much as I possibly could, see how much my body could actually absorb.  This was tricky.  I felt like I was always eating.  But my energy level stayed pretty constant the whole time so that was a good thing.  I rode down pretty conservative.  I was very nervous about 7 hills.  These hills are crazy steep, like some are literally straight up and down.  So I was nervous I wouldn't make it.  I was even a bit wobbly in my stomach before starting 7 hills I was so nervous.  The road is 8 miles long with 600 ft of elevation gain, one way.  So out and back, 16 miles with 1200 ft of elevation gain.  So off I went.  The hills were tough but I tried to spin up them and then fly down the back side.  I got to the end, ate and drank something real quick (this is so rolling that you can't eat or really drink on the road) and headed back.  I made the 16 miles in just under an hour.  I was very relieved and proud of that.  This road is difficult to capture in pictures but here are a couple Jeff took:







The ride back home went well and I pushed it more than the way there.  The total distance was 125 miles and ride time was 6.5 hours.  After the ride I immediately went for a 2 mile run.  Ooohhh, I could feel those hills then. Plus it was hot.  I got it done though.  Run 2 miles.....done.


Sunday: Run

On the schedule for Sunday was an 18 mile run with Mark.  I met him at 6 and we started out.  I was exhausted.  It took me a bit to get going.  But then we settled into a groove and it felt pretty good.  The humidity and temps finally dropped for this run and that helped a ton.  You could actually breathe.  We picked up Asher part of the way through and Jeff rode his bike by us and chatted with us.  It turned out to be a really nice run.  18 miles....done. 

After the run I took a nap.  I totally needed it.  And then Jeff, Philip, Asher and I went to the Tall Ships downtown Green Bay.  They had sailed in late last week and were here for the weekend for people to view.  Some even had cannon's on them.  They were pretty neat looking.  Here are a few pictures of some of the ships:






And there is a new water fountain that Asher had to play in.  He's trying to catch the water as it falls.




Recap: 2.1 miles of swimming, 125 miles of biking, 20 miles of running.  Good solid training weekend.  After it all I needed a big scoop of custard from Zesty's.  Nice way to top off the weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment